View the PDF version of the Convention Call.
The 2017 National Convention of the Customs and Immigration Union will be held September 29, 30 and October 1, 2017 at the Ottawa Marriott Hotel, 100 Kent Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5R7.
Convention Committees will meet on September 26 and 27, 2017 and the National Board of Directors will meet on September 28, 2017.
- May 29, 2017 – Election of Delegates and Alternates (By-Law 8, Section 5)
- May 29, 2017 – Resolutions (By-Law 8, Section 17)
- June 29, 2017 – Appointment of Committees (By-Law 8, Section 8)
- July 28, 2017 – Delegate Certificate (By-Law 8, Section 6)
- July 28, 2017 – Instructions for Committee Members (By-Law 8, Section 12)
- July 28, 2017 – General Information Booklet (By-Law 8, Section 13)
May 29, 2017 – A Date to Remember
1. Election of Convention Delegates and Alternates
- Convention Delegates are elected by each Branch from amongst its members.
- The only qualification required to run for election as a Delegate is that you be a member in good standing.
- If you are interested in attending the Convention, ask your Branch President for information regarding the election of Delegates.
- Election of Convention Delegates must be completed by May 29, 2017.
- All resolutions must comply with By-Law 8, Section 17.
- The Resolution Form can be downloaded here as a PDF. Additional Resolution Forms may also be obtained from your Branch President or the National Office.
- Resolutions will not be accepted unless they bear the appropriate signatures.
- Resolutions to the CIU National Convention that deal with Collective Bargaining can only address the collective bargaining process itself. Submitting Collective Bargaining Resolutions should not be confused with submitting Bargaining Demands, as these are handled through another process and at another time.
- Resolutions are to be sent by facsimile to 613-723-7895 or mailed to the CIU National Office, 1741 Woodward Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2C 0P9, and if mailed, must be postmarked no later than May 29, 2017.
By-Law Excerpts Covering Convention
By-Law 8 – Section 5 – Branch Election of Delegates / Alternates
1) At least four (4) months prior to the opening date of the CIU National Convention, each Branch shall elect to the CIU National Convention, from amongst its members, the appropriate number of:
a) Delegates; and
2) The number of Delegates elected shall be:
a) Based on membership figures available at the end of the sixth (6) full month preceding the Convention; and
b) In accordance with the following:
i. 100 members or less – 1 Delegate
ii. Each additional 100 members or major portion thereof – 1 added Delegate.
By-Law 8 – Section 17 – Resolutions
1) All Resolutions proposed to be submitted to the CIU National Convention shall be accepted for consideration only if:
a) Submitted by:
i. The CIU National Executive and/or the CIU National Board of Directors, and bearing the signature of the National President;
ii. A Branch, bearing the signature of the President and Secretary of the Branch, and forwarded to the National President in triplicate; or
iii. A member in good standing, seconded by a member in good standing, bearing both their signatures, and forwarded to the National President in triplicate, with an extra copy to the Branch Secretary;
b) It deals with only one subject;
c) It is typewritten or printed upon a separate sheet of paper; and
d) It is forwarded at least four (4) months before the opening date of the CIU National Convention.
2) A Resolution received after the deadline set herein shall be accepted, if its specific meaning is not covered by a Resolution submitted in accordance with the requirements already established, to be dealt with after all timely Resolutions have been disposed of.
3) The text of a Resolution shall identify the original, official language in which the Resolution was presented.
4) A progress report on all Resolutions adopted by the CIU National Convention shall be submitted:
a) To each member of the CIU National Board of Directors, within six (6) months of the CIU National Convention; and
b) At every CIU National Board of Directors meeting thereafter, until such time as the Resolution has been fully implemented.
5) Resolutions not complied with between National Conventions shall be resubmitted to the CIU National Convention delegates who shall:
a) Reconsider the decisions of the previous National Convention; or
b) Allow these Resolutions to become Resolutions of Record.
By-Law 8 – Section 8 – Committees, except Finance Committee and Credentials Committee
Notwithstanding By-Law 8, Section 9 and Section 10, at least three (3) months prior to the opening date of the CIU National Convention, the National Executive shall:
a) Appoint Committees as may be necessary for the conduct of business of the CIU National Convention; and
b) Appoint, from the Accredited Delegates, members to Committees.
By-Law 8 – Section 6 – Delegate Certificate
1) At least two (2) months prior to the opening date of the CIU National Convention, each Delegate shall be provided with a Delegate’s Certificate as proof of his/her accreditation.
2) Any Delegate not receiving his/her Certificate within this time limit shall:
a) Immediately provide the CIU National Office with his/her current address; and
b) Request that his/her Certificate be sent to him/her as soon as possible.
By-Law 8 – Section 11 – Notification of Committee Assignments and Distribution of Agendas
At least two (2) months prior to the opening of the CIU National Convention, Delegates shall be:
a) Advised of the Committee assignment by the National Executive; and
b) Supplied with an official copy of the Committees’ agendas, as proposed by the National Executive.
By-Law 8 – Section 12 – Instructions and Documents for Committee Members
At least two (2) months prior to the opening date of the CIU National Convention, Committee Chairs and Committee members shall receive:
a) Written instructions outlining proper Committee procedures;
b) Policy Papers and Resolutions of Record of past National Conventions from both CIU and PSAC; and
c) Acts, Regulations, and other documents relative to the subject matter with which their Committee shall have to deal.
By-Law 8 – Section 13 – General Information Booklet
At least two (2) months prior to the opening of the CIU National Convention, a general information booklet shall be mailed to every Accredited Delegate, and the booklet shall contain:
a) An outline of the Convention program, giving all possible particulars;
b) A list of Convention committees, with the names of their Chairs and members;
c) The Convention agenda; and
d) Resolutions of Record and new Resolutions, grouped by major subjects and placed in single numerical series, late Resolutions placed in a separate numerical series.