The Customs and Immigration Union (CIU) is seeking to hire a full-time bilingual Labour Relations Administrator with extensive experience to be staffed on a full-time indeterminate basis.
Applications will be received until close of business on August 18, 2022 (5:00 p.m. EDT). Please see the full posting here (PDF) for more information about the position, the associated duties and requirements, and on how to apply.
The Customs and Immigration Union (CIU) is seeking to hire a full-time bilingual Executive Assistant to the National President (Band 9) with extensive experience to be staffed on a full-time indeterminate basis.
Applications will be received until close of business on July 7, 2021 (5:00 p.m. EDT). Please see the full posting here (PDF) for more information about the position, the associated duties and requirements, and on how to apply.
The Customs and Immigration Union (CIU) is seeking to hire a full time bilingual Labour Relations Officer with extensive experience to be staffed on an indeterminate basis. Priority for this opportunity shall be accorded as follows: Employees of CIU; Members of the Alliance Employees Union (AEU); other PSAC Unionized employees; Members of CIU; Members of the Public Service Alliance of Canada; Members of the general public.
- CIU National Office, Ottawa, Ontario
Under the general direction of the Office Director, the successful candidate will assume
responsibility for specified aspects of one or more of CIU’s Labour Relations Officer portfolios
- Providing guidance and advice on all aspects of the public service grievance process and
staffing complaint process, including interpretation and application of collective agreements, public service legislation and related regulations and procedures;
- Developing and presenting the union’s arguments either at the final-level grievance process
to the Agency’s representative or before the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations Employment Board;
- Preparing and forwarding grievance files for arbitration hearings;
- Providing technical advice and guidance to elected union officers, members, and co-workers in the carrying out of CIU activities.
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Post-secondary graduate in labour relations, political science, social sciences, law,
legislative studies or a related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and
experience with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in grievance, adjudication and ADR
processes, or equivalent relevant experience;
- Knowledge of the broader labour movement and commitment to trade union principles and social justice issues;
- Knowledge of the structure of the Canadian Border Services Agency and the Acts, Regulations, Legislation, directives, policies and procedures that govern the employment and working conditions of CIU members;
- Knowledge of the political and operational structures of the CIU and PSAC;
- Ability to research, analyze, explain and interpret collective agreements, employment
legislation, jurisprudence and employer policies and directives in order to successfully analyze complex situations to develop and recommend appropriate solutions;
- High level of ability to work independently as well as within a team;
- Close attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to use current computer-based technology including MS Office, internet, email and
various software applications;
- Demonstrated strong judgment, problem-solving, conflict resolution, initiative, interpersonal and leaderships skills;
- Strong oral and written English and French communications skills;
- Ability to adapt to changes and changing priorities;
- Familiarity with Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR).
- $94,007 to $106,768 plus $1,500 bilingual bonus per year.
Terms and conditions of employment apply as negotiated between CIU and the Alliance Employees Union (AEU), Unit 15.
All applications will be reviewed by a Screening Board. The Board’s determination for a written
test or personal interview will be based on the contents of the application. It will be the
responsibility of applicants to include evidence of demonstrated required qualifications
when applying. No travel expenses will be reimbursed by CIU.
Applications will be received until the close of business March 11, 2019 (5:00 p.m. ET)
Please forward your curriculum vitae to the attention of Jean-Pierre Fortin, National President at
the CIU National Office at email@example.com.