This Wednesday, September 20, far-right, conservative and anti-trans groups are organizing protests against teaching 2SLGBTQIA+ content in schools. These protests are being organized under the hashtag #1MillionMarch4Children.
The protests also support recent legislation passed in Saskatchewan and New Brunswick which demand that teachers advise parents if their children request to be called by a different name or pronoun. While these groups claim to be in support of ‘parental rights’, the protests are actually anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate rallies which aim to eliminate Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) curriculum and policies from Canadian schools
Politicians across Canada and the Conservative party in particular, continue to threaten the human rights of 2SLGBTQIA+ people by failing to support 2SLGBTQIA+ positive legislation. Sadly, these politicians are actively enabling these anti-2SLGBTQIA+ protests to occur in 80 locations across Canada, with large events planned in major cities. PSAC strongly condemns any and all bigotry and violence that threatens the fundamental human rights of 2SLGBTQIA+ people
September 20 will be a challenging and scary day for 2SLGBTQIA+ peoples and their communities. PSAC joins in solidarity with you.
PSAC urges all members and allies to:
- Join union members, leaders, and allies at one of the many grassroots counter-protests being organized in communities where protests are scheduled to be held. Check with your Federation of Labour or nearest Canadian Labour Congress District Labour Council for more information.
- If you wish to be involved in efforts to counter any potential changes in government policy in Ontario, add your organization to Momentum Canada’s list of allies and participate.
- Join the rally against anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate in Ottawa.
- Refer to the Pride Defence Guide for safety tips and ideas.
- Amplify and support local, provincial and national allies who are leading the pushback against this growing hate movement, including Egale, Momentum Canada, and the Canadian Anti-Hate Network.
- Encourage your Member of Parliament and provincial, territorial, and municipal political leaders to condemn these protests.
These groups will not stop at targeting 2SLGBTQIA+ people. Recent incidents of violence and harassment across Canada make the real impact of this kind of hate starkly clear. Trans bodies and lives are on the line, and it’s up to all of us to take a stand.
An injury to one truly is an injury to all.
This article was first posted on the PSAC website.